Friday, February 06, 2009

Willpower

I wanted to share that this new year is going to be a test of my willpower. I started back on the exercise routine the 1st of January and every time I either go to my class or the gym it takes all my willpower to go and not cop out. I'm always glad when it's done and it's been so worth it with the results! I weighed myself the beginning of January and then just the other day and I lost 5 pounds! Plus I've been losing inches. With the working out I decided I really need to change certain aspects of my eating, another willpower challenge. I love carbs! Pasta, bread, potatoes.....anything starchy I'll eat it. But as I've gotten older (especially this last year) I've noticed that the weight doesn't drop off like it used to. So I've been cutting back on the carbs and when I have been shopping or going to eat some, I'm choosing whole wheat/grain or brown rice or skipping the bread and going straight for a salad. Really hard for me.
Another test of my willpower came from an idea from a friend of mine in my MOMS club. She mentioned that a friend of hers went a WHOLE YEAR without buying any clothes for herself and her family! She's challenging herself do it and I hopped right on board. I LOVE to shop, shop, shop. But truth of the matter.....I own a ton of clothes and so did my kids. So I'm vowing not to buy anything unless it's absolutely a necessity. I'm going to do this for 6 months and see how I do. I did buy Austin new tennis shoes and a pack of new socks, but those are a necessity! When the warmer months come I know the boys will need shorts because they have grown since I last bought them shorts. Yesterday I went to Target and that tested my willpower big time. I had to walk through the clothing area......it felt really good not to just grab something just because it was on sale.
Now the next area of my will power needs some tweaking. My scrapbook shopping. Last year I put myself on a budget and did awesome. That is until about October. I bought the Cricut and went to the Scrapbook Expo all in the same day. Bad, bad, bad. Ever since then I've been waaaaaay off my budget and can't seem to get back on my game. I already spent my WHOLE MONTHS BUDGET on Feb. 1st at an all day crop. Which I wasn't planning on doing. So how am I going to bounce back the rest of this month? The Scrapbook Expo is in a week and I'm helping work it on Friday. Ugh. I need a serious intervention. :)

So those are my tests of my will power. If you see me and I look wound up, you'll know why!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you....congratulations on the exercising and losing weight....it is so hard to get the motivation to do those sort of things....happy for you!

Anonymous said...

You are doing great!!! Keep up the good work. - Becky